Wednesday 8 July 2015

Backing Up

I have more fun with these titles than I should...


My laptop is on its last legs. Its last laptop-y legs. Laptops have legs. Leggy leggy laptops. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

I have everything on here. Maiden Voyage, Lifebringer, Ambervale, sequels, prequels, plans. Everything. Every resource relating to my writing is on this laptop. Plus all my scriptwork for school is here too.

It's also on a backup drive.

I own a PC now, which I finally have internet connectivity on. That means it too is connected to the aforementioned backup drive. When the laptop dies, Lifebringer will live on (ha ha).

And suddenly I realise how badly organised my files are. Well actually no, they're not too bad. They're better than most, I'd even wager. Everything I use is well-indexed. The organisation is clear, categorical and concise. Documents get labeled properly and folders are neatly arranged.

And then there's everything I don't use.

I haven't updated iTunes in a year, because my music is so disorganised that iTunes can't find everything automatically, and for some reason iTunes can't fucking update itself without WIPING MY ENTIRE MUSIC LIBRARY FIRST. I'm tired of having to manually add all my music into iTunes because I have things in all different places. There's files from CDs that went on to the back up drive before digital downloads were around. There's things I bought on iTunes. There's things I imported to iTunes. There's EPs I've downloaded from bandcamp. There's free singles I've got off Soundcloud. There's so much music, and it all ends up in different places.

It's my fault, really. I don't take the time to codify things like that, because I can just download them, open them direct from Chrome and throw them in iTunes. I don't ever have to walk down that file path again, so why should I bother making it all neat and tidy?

I should do it because every time I update iTunes, I lose music.

Then there's all the other stuff I lose when things update.

I'm migrating my things to a new PC, and it's not a 'clean' PC as it were (the previous owner still has game files and so forth on it). This time, I want to do it right, and it's incredibly hard. But it will pay off. Or so I've been told.

At least I have a backup of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment